Friday, February 23, 2007

Consciousness

Consciousness is perhaps one of the most mystifying aspects of our existence. When I use the term to refer to being conscious, I usually mean awareness, including self-awareness. The term for me also refers to our most intimate experience of ourselves; that is our encounter with our interiority, giving us our deepest sense of "I am-ness."
Communities contribute to our sense of "I am-ness" in so many ways. They also help us from becoming self-consumed with ourselves and becoming aware of our larger connections to the universe. Both are important: that we are in touch with own sense of being; and that we are in touch with our sense of being a part of it all. The latter is said in many religious traditions to be one of the most sacred and special spiritual realizations.
As I sit in the sunshine watching the ancient boulder rocks in Carefree, Arizona, a glimmer of a feeling of being a part of it all arises within me. Place has a way of helping us arrive at this experience It's simply extraordinary!

5 comments:

Dan said...

BTW, nice photo!
I think of You and Mary there in and as Carefree...

iamnasra said...

I keep wondering how can contribute in here

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Hi Dan and Nasra. Thanks for your comments. Dan, beautiful here. Love it!

Nasra...contribute just like you do elsewhere--through your great open heart.

Borut said...

I remember reading a poem by Omar Khayam: Everybody has a theory about me; / I am what I am.
Better with fettered feet among friends, than reveling in the garden with strangers (Saadi, I think)!:)
Arizona - I read great stories taking place in Arizona. Arise! (Be) One!

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Thanks Borut. Beautiful thought. Thank you. Arizona is wonderful!