I am working in the direction of a definition of conscious communities. I am hoping to find a way to “measure” the consciousness of communities. I’m trying to get at what the tag line says: Creating Places of Heightened Awareness and Expression. Right now, I would say conscious communities are communities that:
- Cultivate the consciousness of their citizens and encourage heightened awareness and expression by their citizens.
- Exhibit a sense of meaning and purpose that permeates the community in various ways.
- Are reflective of the values and culture of their citizens.
- Are responsive to the fundamental human needs of their citizens.
- Are environmentally sound or sustainable.
- Foster and support the financial and economic prosperity of their citizens.
- Are civically engaged and aware.
- Encourage and foster sound democratic and effective community leadership/stewardship.
- Are accountable to their citizens.
- Plan ahead and make investments in community building
- Encourage and support the learning and education of their citizens.
- Encourage and support the spiritual growth of their citizens.
- Encourage and support the physical health of their citizens.
- Encourage and support the happiness and psychological well-being of their citizens.
- Encourage and support the growth of creativity in their citizens.
- Encourage the building of social networks and relationships supporting their citizens.
To my new readers, I would ask: What does "conscious" community mean to you?